Pot brownies are a classic example of the edible marijuana industry in pop culture, having been popularized in the 1950s. They’re one of the most well-known THC-infused sweets.
The first published recipe appeared in a cookbook penned by Alice B. Toklas, who dedicated it to her life spent with her lifelong partner, Gertrude Stein. While Toklas is often credited as the creator of pot brownies, she received the recipe from her painter friend Brion Gysin, who had spent considerable time in Morocco.
The Moroccan dish “mahjoun,” which dates back hundreds of years, is made from grains such as rice and millet. This traditional sticky treat is often composed of hash, dried fruit, chopped nuts, precious spices, and cocoa for a brownie-like flavor. For a little controversy that he knew would make his buddy’s book a bestseller, Gysin slipped this recipe into Toklas’ cookbook under the name “Haschich Fudge.”
The recipe in this book was revolutionary. Furthermore, the Gysin decision has made it the best-selling cookbook in history. While “Haschich Fudge” is known as an iconic component of edible history, pot brownies have evolved considerably since then. Weed is an excellent addition to any chocolatey dessert, whether they’re complicated chef versions or simple every-day boxed-brownies.
This particular recipe features a fluffy frosting, rich dark chocolate, and of course, ganja. Best of all, these brownies are adaptable to your taste and tolerance. Read on for Wikileaf’s drool-worthy pot brownie recipe.
How do Weed Brownies Work?
Raw marijuana does not produce a high because it contains enzymes that are destroyed during the heating process. The basic techniques of decarboxylation and fat infusion are used in weed brownies to produce their intoxicating effect. The THCA in your ground herb is changed to THC inside the oven, which activates marijuana’s psychoactive effects.
Infusing your decarboxylated plant material with a fat-like coconut oil or butter makes it simple for your body to absorb and results in the potent and long-lasting high for which edibles are known. Cannabutter or canna oil may be used in a variety of dishes, including brownies.
Cannabis-infused brownies are a traditional part of any epic stoner party or “pot” fortune, and even the most inexperienced home cook can make these cannabis-laced sweets. Remember to carefully measure your buds and let your brownies cool completely before eating for a delectable and safe experience.
Vegan Weed Brownies Recipe #1
For those who wish to fly sky high while being vegan friendly, here’s a vegan marijuana brownie recipe that will really knock your socks off!
- 1 cup coconut oil
- ⅛ oz cannabis (or desired amount)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup soy milk or other milk alternative
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 T baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the Cannabis Oil:
In order to produce cannabis coconut oil as a tincture, you must first create your cannabis coconut oil infusion. You may make the oil several days in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Making cannabis oil may appear complicated, but this simple technique never fails.
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
- To calculate how much marijuana you’ll need, use your bathroom scale to measure out ⅛ ounce or the amount you want. Break up your buds with scissors or a grinder and lay them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Toast for 30-40 minutes, gently stirring every 10 minutes.
- Place the cooking oil in a small saucepan on low heat. Add the toasted marijuana and cook for at least one hour, stirring frequently.
- Cover a cup or jar with cheesecloth or a strainer bag and carefully extract the plant material from the oil mixture. If you’re going to make it ahead of time, keep your cannabis-infused oil in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
For the Brownies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Set aside a baking pan that has been lightly greased with cooking spray or oil.
- In a mixing cup, combine the maple syrup, non-dairy milk, and vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, stir the melted oil into the dry ingredients. Stir in the wet ingredient mixture, chocolate chips and walnuts (if using), and
- Pour brownie batter into your prepared baking pan and bake for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the brownies from the oven when they have fissures on their surface. Insert a toothpick straight into the center of the pan to see whether your brownies are done. The clean removal of a toothpick from the centre of the pan indicates that the brownies are ready if it comes out clear. If not, bake for another three minutes and check again.
- Allow the brownies to cool fully before cutting them into 16 equal portions. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. It’s tempting to devour a 350-degree pot brownie straight from the oven, but try your hardest to resist doing so. Brownies that have cooled before being cut are more compact and easy-to-slice. This is critical if you want to limit your THC dosage. Anyone who has ever eaten too many edibles will agree: this is a blunder.
Vegan Weed Brownie Recipe #2
- 1 cup water or cannamilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted cannabutter
- 1/4 cup melted dairy-free butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and put one cup of water or cannamilk in a pot over low heat.
- Add 1 cup of flour to the pot and stir constantly until it reaches a thick, loose pudding like consistency. Set it aside and let it cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cannabutter, standard butter, corn starch, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, vanilla, and mix it well.
- Add the flour mixture from your pot into the bowl and mix everything thoroughly.
- Add the other cup of flour and baking powder. Mix everything until all is blended.
- Grease an 11×7 inch pan and spread your brownie mixture into it.
- Stick a toothpick in the center of the brownies after 25 minutes to test if they’re done. If the toothpick comes out clean, the brownies are ready. Let them continue cooking until you can insert a toothpick and have it come out clean after dipping it in water. HAPPY BAKING!
Vegan Weed Brownie Recipe #3
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 1 cup dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons Cannabis Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- To powder, use a food processor to finely mince rolled oats and walnuts.
- Add dates, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, Cannabis Coconut Oil and salt. Process until everything is mixed together.
- Transfer raw Canna-Brownie mix to a lined baking sheet. Press batter down to flatten and shape. Rest brownies in fridge for a few hours to set.
- Mix almond butter, maple syrup and cocoa powder together. Spread glaze on top of chilled brownies before serving.