One of the most popular categories of marijuana edibles are marijuana hard candies such as marijuana Jolly Ranchers. The appeal is quite apparent: You get a high that’s as strong and long-lasting as normal edibles, but get to enjoy a deliciously sweet hard candy in the process.
Some also like the fact that given you consume a Jolly Rancher over the course of 10-25 minutes and not within a couple minutes like a small-to-medium marijuana cookie, the high has an even more gradual onset than standard edibles.
Luckily, making marijuana Jolly Ranchers isn’t near as difficult as you might think. It also doesn’t take near as long – or take near as much cannabis – as you may think. Patients, in particular, love edibles because they are simple to dose, easy to make, and avoid some of the lingering (if unwarranted) stigma associated with smoking. For patients new to the medical cannabis experience, they also represent a delicious introduction. When dosed right (low and slow), edibles ease patients into the therapeutic benefits carefully and gently.
If you are getting interested in making hard candy with cannabutter and wondering what it is, don’t be intimidated with the name! Basically Cannabutter Jolly Rancher.(s) are simply flavored Sugar candies! Weed jolly ranchers recipe is really very easy to make and is an excellent edible to have prepared and always available! This is because it is really easy to eat and it stores practically forever! Since this recipe is for Cannabutter Jolly Rancher Candies, what we will be showing you is a version that uses Cannabutter but this can also be made using ground up weed or kief. Both versions will come out spectacular but we just prefer this because of it’s smoother texture. So, what are we waiting for? Let’s get this going and create our own batch of Cannabis infused Jolly Rancher Candies!
1. Marijuana Jolly Ranchers Using Real Jolly Ranchers
Here is how to make marijuana Jolly Ranchers using real Jolly Ranchers (though obviously similar off-brand versions of the candy would also work):
– A standard sized bag of Jolly Ranchers (3.8oz bag)
– A quarter cup of water
– 2-4 tablespoons of marijuana tincture
– Using a coffee grinder or something similar like a really strong blender, grind up the Jolly Ranchers until they’re broken into very small pieces. I recommend using just 1 color at a time otherwise you can end up with some weird color mixtures, some that aren’t all that appetizing.
– Heat the Jolly Ranchers in the water on the stove in a pot over medium-high heat until the candy has mixed evenly with the water and liquefied
– Remove from the heat and mix in the marijuana tincture. For lightly potent marijuana Jolly Ranchers use around 2 tablespoons of moderately potent tincture, and ad more depending on how potent you’d like it to be
– Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet and allow it to harden or place into a small rubber ice tray. Let cool.
– Break into smaller pieces as you see fit
This is really the easiest way to make an infused cannabis Jolly Rancher candy that gives you the most control in terms of texture. Also the flavor will be nearly identical to the original albeit slightly diluted due to the water added.
2. Marijuana Jolly Ranchers Using Homemade Jolly Ranchers
This is more like creating the Jolly Ranchers texture from scratch however it will be difficult to replicate the flavor of the standard candy.
– 1 gram of hash
– 2 cups of sugar
– 2/3rd cups of light corn syrup
What to do:
– Mix together all of the ingredients other than the flavoring
– Heat in a pot on a stove (stirring often) for 6-8 minutes
– Remove the stove and add in the flavoring (see below)
– Pour the mixture onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and place it in the freezer for 2-3 hours. If you want to get the right shape, consider using a small rubber ice cube tray.
– Remove from the freezer and break it into small pieces as you see fit
The Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis Hard Candies
Cannabis hard candies, whether purchased from a dispensary or made at home, generally have a few properties in common: small dose, fast absorption, and discretion.
The goal of medical cannabis is to settle on a dose that delivers the most therapeutic benefit with the least adverse effects. Unlike a hard-hitting hundred milligram dose of THC, which may be useful for chronic issues before bed, small cannabis hard candies are excellent for daily maintenance doses.
Throughout the day, cannabis-infused candies help maintain a long-duration of benefits without having to take a large single dose. After taking their initial treatment in the morning, patients may feel the effects wear off after three or four hours. By consuming a small cannabis hard candy at intervals throughout the day, it’s possible to keep the therapeutic benefits going for longer.
Furthermore, the cannabinoids contained in hard candies absorb quickly — likely much faster then what patients might expect from an edible. So long as it’s sucked on (and not chewed and swallowed), the therapeutic value is absorbed sublingually and avoids the delays of the digestive tract.
For patients with zero experience with cannabis, especially with the intoxicating cannabinoid THC, it’s best to start experimenting with cannabis hard candies at the lowest dose possible. What does a low dose mean? Most would suggest under five milligrams. For those patients familiar with the effects of THC, a ten-milligram dose will likely be quite manageable.
How long do Jolly Rancher edibles take to kick in?
But, generally, it would take 30 minutes to an hour to kick in depending on some factors but may also go longer as much as 2 hours on some rare occasions.
How to Dose with Cannabis Hard Candy
Unlike the Jolly Ranchers stashed at the mechanics or the bowl of peppermints at the doctor’s office, don’t overindulge on these cannabis hard candies. The first dose of every batch should represent a taste test but also a dose test.
While it’s unlikely that cannabis-infused hard candies will knock you off your feet, there is always a chance. Maybe you made the candies larger than usual, or maybe it wasn’t evenly mixed. Try one hard candy, wait for the peak of effects at two hours, then reach for more if needed. The golden rule of medical cannabis is start low and go slow, and the same rule applies to cannabis hard candy.