Cannabutter toast is a breakfast food that you can make with cannabutter. Cannabutter is made by cooking butter and cannabis together to extract the THC from the plant. It’s important to note that not all marijuana edibles are created equally, so be sure to follow these instructions carefully!
1. What is cannabutter and how do you make it?
Cannabutter is a butter-based edible that you make by cooking cannabis in the butter. You can use any type of marijuana for this recipe, including hash oil or kief; however, it’s important to note that not all edibles are created equally and your results may vary from these instructions: so follow them carefully! This cannabutter toast recipe will show how to cook with cannabutter on the stovetop as well as oven-baked (no microwave).
Butter – One cup per ½ pound ground flower/trim used
Baking sheet lined with parchment paper – If making oven bake method only
Stovetop over medium heat or 350°F oven preheated with a baking sheet on the bottom – If making stovetop or oven bake method
Parchment paper for lining baking sheets
Nonstick cooking spray (optional)
Toaster, toaster oven, or bun warmer—If only using one of these methods; and tongs.
Hot pads/pot holders also recommended if using either a stovetop or an oven. Optional: Kitchen Knife- To cut cannabutter into cubes before frying in butter. Baking Sheet- For placing cannabutter outside to cool after being cooked through with heat from your stovetop. A silicone spatula is helpful when scraping up excess oil that may be left behind during this process as well as ensuring all cannabis bits have been scraped off of the pan surface completely.
Set the stove to medium heat and pour cannabutter in an even layer, stirring occasionally so that it melts evenly. Once all of the cannabutter has melted down and is no longer lumpy or uncooperative, use tongs to take off the burner for about 20 minutes (make sure you are using hot pads/pot holders) before flipping onto toast with more butter on top;
- Oven Bake Method – If making oven bake method: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit prior to placing the desired amount of cannabutter cubes on parchment-lined baking sheet and place into preheated oven until browned, taking care not to touch any part of this process unless necessary as oils can cause a serious flare-up.
Oven Bake Method: Place desired amount of cannabutter cubes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place into preheated oven until browned, taking care not to touch any part of this process unless necessary as oils can cause a serious flare-up;
Stovetop method: Use tongs to take off the burner for about 20 minutes (make sure you are using hot pads/pot holders) before flipping onto toast with more butter on top.
How to Make Cannabutter Toast
- You’ll want to take some butter (yes, actual butter) and fully coat the toast with it as you would do for regular bread. This will help make your cannabis stick onto the top without soaking in so quickly that all the good stuff goes down into your stomach before making its way up through your digestive system.
- Add two tablespoons of weed butter on each piece of bread or however many pieces as desired; then cover with another slice of buttered toast! Now just put them in a frying pan over medium heat until they start sizzling again—this should only take about two minutes.
- Now, you can eat your cannabutter toast as is or top with some herb butter (or vegan alternative) and herbs like basil or thyme if desired for a more delicious snack!
2. How to eat cannabutter on toast
Toast bread. Butter both sides of the toast with cannabutter
Number One: CannaButter and Potatoes
-The first step to eating your cannabis on toast is a good quality butter (or cannabutter if you’re feeling extra industrious). The best way to achieve this is by using organic, unsalted butter that has been cold processed and churned from raw or pasteurized milk; the next best option would be high-quality conventional butter like Kerrygold or Land O Lakes® which are made up in Ireland or Wisconsin respectively. There are many other types of dairy products we could use for our butter such as cream, sour cream, yogurt, crème fraîche, etc., just to name a few.
Cannabutter and Potatoes
-For the cannabutter, you’ll need to put one pound of butter in a bowl with two cups of water or cooking liquid (water is usually what I use). Cut up your cannabis flowers in small pieces, remove stems, tear apart if necessary and add them to the pot filled with water; turn the stove on low heat so that it can simmer for 30 minutes like most other recipes for making cannabutter. If you want to make the cannabutter in a slow cooker, add about three-quarters of the water and turn it on low for four hours.
Cannabis Butter Margarine
-Mix your butter with cannabis if desired (find instructions below) then follow steps that are listed here as well;
The other option is high-quality margarine such as Country Crock® or Earth Balance®, which would be made up in Wisconsin or Oregon respectively. We could also opt to use any type of dairy products we wanted such as cream, sour cream, yogurt, etc., just to name a few. When melting this down don’t forget to stir so that it doesn’t burn! The only real difference between these two options is how they taste. The cannabutter will be a little more buttery, while the vegan margarine has a more nutty taste to it.
-Melt your ingredients on low heat until all of them are liquid (except for coconut oil just stir this in later) and let simmer with the lid on 15 minutes;
-Stir in some salt if desired. Salt helps cut down the cannabis flavor so you don’t have to use as much spice or seasoning when eating the toast! Let simmer for at least another 30 minutes with the lid off. If need be add water periodically so that no part is dry and burning;
-Add melted Coconut Oil right before taking off the burner, stirring well to combine evenly throughout the mixture. Place cream cheese inside the refrigerator.
3. Benefits of eating cannabutter on toast
- It boosts the metabolism, it’s a natural appetite suppressant and it can also help you manage chronic pain.
4. Side effects of eating too much cannabutter on toast
Side effects of eating too much cannabutter are a bit more sinister, including headaches and dizziness.