Cannabis e-liquids are the stealthiest and fastest way to get stoned. Plus, they taste amazing. Use these instructions to make your own at home! It’s not as difficult as you might think.
Vaping is the new smoking. Okay, some cannabis lovers will always smoke the herb. But some users are ditching tar, carbon monoxide, and carcinogens for a cleaner hit of cannabinoids. Instead of combustion, vaporizers use convection heating, conduction heating, or a combination of both to release cannabinoids and terpenes into an inhalable vapor.
This is easier on the lungs, far more tasty, and a lot more discreet than walking around with a joint. CBD users also appreciate this form of ingestion. Because vaporizing a CBD liquid is much more enjoyable than swallowing a capsule. Vaporizers are available in both desktop and portable models. Vape pens are the stealthiest option and the easiest to carry around. These sleek and futuristic devices can vaporize both herb and extracts, depending on the model. In this article, you’ll learn how to make your own stash of cannabis e-liquid to use with your vape pen.
WHAT IS E-LIQUID?
E-liquid, otherwise known as vape juice, is traditionally a nicotine-containing product. However, cannabis users have put their own spin on things. Both THC and CBD e-liquids (with accompanying terpenes) are available, and feature a base of either propylene glycol (PG) or vegetable glycerin (VG).
PG is a colourless and odourless organic compound. It’s not very viscous, which makes things easier when it comes to refilling cartridges and cleaning your device. VG is a completely natural liquid derived from plant oils. It’s also odourless, yet has a slightly sweet taste. It’s much more viscous than PG. It’s not ideal for cleaning, but it produces thick, satisfying clouds of vapor.
Natural and artificial food-grade flavourings are also typically added to create an array of flavours—anything from candy and mint to fruits. E-liquid is then loaded into the tank of an e-cigarette or vaporizer and heated to anywhere between 90–200°C. Devices will need to be set to around 157°C to effectively evaporate THC, whereas CBD requires slightly higher temperatures of between 160–180°C.
USING E-LIQUIDS IN VAPE PENS
Vape pens represent the pinnacle of portability. These sleek devices feature similar technology to desktop vapes, just condensed into a pocket-friendly design. They share an appearance with standard pens and are therefore easy to store and conceal. Vape pens are composed of two main parts: the cartridge, and the battery. Cheaper, disposable vape pens come with pre-filled cartridges. However, more expensive models allow users to refill cartridges with their own product.
Vape pens are ideal for vaporizing high-potency extracts such as THC-enriched e-liquid or distillate. A single hit can provide just as much THC as an entire joint, with much less effort. There’s no need to carry around a container of buds, rolling papers, and a lighter. Just hit the pen and enjoy the ride.
What You’ll Need to Create a Safe THC Oil for Your E-Cig or Vape Pen
In terms of the materials that you’ll need to make your THC e-cig vape juice, it really depends on the specific method that you’re going to use. If you do a simple search on YouTube, for example, you’ll find several different techniques and methods that you can use, all of which seem to work.
Generally speaking, the three main ways to make THC oil for e-pens are:
|TYPE OF THC EXTRACTION||HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?|
|Vegetable Glycerin (Long-Term)||2-3 months|
|Vegetable Glycerin (Short-Term)||3-4 hours (uses the same general method as long-term extraction, but involves precise heating in an oil bath)|
|Rosin Extraction||1-2 hours|
We will go over the steps for all three of these methods, but we will say that in terms of purity, safety, potency, and overall quality, we recommend using the rosin extraction with a hair straightener method.
This is because the other two methods involve using potentially dangerous solvents that, when heated to high enough temperatures, may break down into carcinogenic formaldehyde that you definitely do not want to be inhaling. (Traditionally, PEG400 or a mix of polyethylene glycol (PEG), propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerin (VG) have been used. However, all of these – except for VG – have been shown to break down into carcinogenic compounds at extremely high temperatures. You can make a vape juice using only vegetable glycerin, but it tends to be a little lower in potency and overall quality).
In any regard, we will go over the process for making the e-juice using all three of these methods, and you can choose which one you want to employ based on the amount of time you have, and the materials you’ve got on hand.
CBD or THC Vape juice
If you are looking to make CBD Vape juice, start with a strain that is high in CBD and low in THC. Wee strains like ACDC, Harlequin and Canatonic for example. CBD vape juice is great for those who do not want to feel the high effect from THC. It is great if you’re hoping to keep some CBD on hand to water down a strong THC edible. If you want to make THC Vape juice, simply use a cannabis strain that is high in THC.
Some important tips for the recipe
- Always use 100% USP- food grade Vegetable Glycerin and Propelyn Glycol
- Use a Syringe so you can measure the liquids properly.
- Use a Shrimp net, fine sieve, or pantyhose. Press out all the liquid without waste. A cheesecloth or tea towel will absorb some of the juice, which will result in loss of product.
- Use a strong mason jar and make sure you start with cold water so your mason jar does not shatter.
- If you do not want your house to smell like cannabis during decarbing, check out decarboxylate without smell.
- Store in a cool, dark place, and use in any vape pen or e-cigarette you wish. Product will last up to 12 months
- 1/8 ounce cannabis Vegetable glycerin 21ml Propelyn Glycol 9ml
- Decarboxylate your weed by spreading your coarsely ground cannabis evenly on an oven tray and wrap with tin foil.
- Place in the oven on 240F/115C for 35 minutes, and then let it cool for another 30 minutes without taking of the tin foil.
- In a mason jar, create a solution of 21ml Vegetable Glycerin and 9ml of Propelyn Glycol, using a syringe for exact measures.
- Place your decarbed cannabis in the mason jar with the liquid solution and shake/swirl well.
- Place your closed jar in cold water and let it come to a boil, Boil on low for 2 to 3 hours. Shake/swirl the mason jar every 30 minutes.
- Use a pantyhose, shrimp net or fine sieve to press out all of the liquid.
- Collect liquid with syringes and place into the dropper bottles.
- Add any flavourings your might want to add (optional).